The adjustable bed has recently gained significant attention from consumers interested in sleeping better and improving their lives. However, shoppers are still left to wonder what the best adjustable bed brand is and how to make the best decision based on their own needs and personal preferences. Here, we will examine some of the top brands and what each offers so that consumers may make an informed decision about which is the best for their specific lifestyle. While these are the top choices, remember that there are several types of brands to choose from. However, the list here allows you to see what sets the very best brands apart from the rest. Let’s take a look at three of the leading brands and see how they compare.
This blog analyzed seven leading retailers on factors that we find to be most relevant to the average customer: warranty, price, durability, health benefits, and what other owners say in reviews. In their comparison, they looked at (alphabetically) Amerisleep, Costco, Golden Rest, and Sleep Comfort. For our purposes, we will focus on the top three from this comparison, which were Amerisleep, and Sleep Comfort. (For the full scoop visit the link above).
Top Three Adjustable Bed Brands
|Brand||Durability||Warranty||Price||Consumer Ratings||Health Benefits||Total|
The chart above summarizes the findings from BestMattress-Reviews.org. Below, we will take a more detailed look at these brands and the rankings to see how they compare. Each retailer offers different lines of adjustables and different mattress options. While these features will of course play a role in your buying decision, we will try to focus more on the aspects that tend to be generally important like overall value.
Amerisleep.com retails adjustable beds and plant-based memory foam mattresses online. Their collection includes their signature Amerisleep Adjustable Bed. The bases are sold separately and in mattress combination packages.
- Reviews: The table places the consumer rating of Amerisleep is 4.8 stars, which represents the top score. Reviews on the retailer’s website are third party verified, and show average ratings of 4.8 out of 5 with 98% recommending it.
- Durability: The bases have ISO9001 and UL certification, and warranty coverage for critical components. Reviews found no patterns of durability or service issues.
- Warranty: The overall warranty associated with Amerisleep beds is 20 years which is on par with what most brands in the industry offer. Their bases have 1 year full, 2 years full on motor, and 5 years full parts, with the remainder prorated.
- Prices: The prices of Amerisleep’s electric adjustable beds are very competitive, starting at $1800. They offered one of the lowest prices of all retailers compared for full-featured luxury bases, and have several promotions throughout the year.
Sleep Comfort Comparison
Sleep Comfort sells adjustable bases and a selection of mattresses over the phone. Their collection includes the Simplicity, Symphony, Monarch, and Prodigy by Leggett and Platt. Bases are available as sets or separately.
- Reviews: Owner reviews are pretty hard to find for Sleep Comfort online. Their website offers only “testimonials” which are not verified or open. The minimal offsite reviews appear in the good range, with most complaints focusing on mattress comfort and issues with remotes.
- Durability: The durability of these bases received a 4, as the durability complaints with actual bases was fairly minor and all meet necessary certifications.
- Warranty: Sleep Comfort offers a lifetime warranty, which covers parts (labor and shipping excluded).
- Prices: Sleep Comfort does not publish pricing, and instead requires interested customers to call. This may mean that prices are adjusted depending on how well the consumer negotiates, and sets up a system in which salespeople can take advantage of less savvy consumers. According to BedEd.org, they found reports of prices from $1900-4400 from online sources.
After looking at the details, we would agree that Amerisleep offers the best overall value and potential for satisfaction. Mattresses and optional features aside, the function of adjustable bases proves fairly similar, with main differences being durability and price. Because Amerisleep’s bases offer good warranties and lower prices than leading competitors, they ranked highest in these regards. The use of a third-party verified review system, published prices, and clear warranty terms helps create a sense of transparency for shoppers, which is important when making big purchases online.
We looked at information from the top manufacturers in the industry to see how owners perceive their adjustable bases, and how this might offer a valuable perspective to those who might be interested in purchasing one. Knowing how other consumers perceived adjustable beds via reviews can help you determine whether this product is for you. Overall, adjustable bed reviews show they rank exceptionally well, with an average customer satisfaction rating of 4.3 out of 5 (meaning about 85-86% of owners are satisfied). In the following article, we will look at the individual manufacturers’ adjustable bed reviews as well as overall trends of pros and cons so readers can better decide if an adjustable base is a good fit.
Top Manufacturers in Adjustable Bed Reviews
In general adjustable bed bases rank very well in customer satisfaction as stated above. The primary differences among the brands involve appearance, warranty, motor type and controls, optional features and costs. We looked at three leading U.S. manufacturers which comprise a majority of the current market. All of these manufacturers sell their beds under their branded names, and also under private-labels for mattress companies and retailers.
The comparisons that follow are based on customer’s satisfaction from adjustable bed reviews regarding the base only, not including their mattress choice. Most adjustable beds can be used with a mattress of the owner’s choosing, and because mattress comfort is subjective we will not get into that in this article. Just keep in mind that choosing a good mattress will be just as important if not more to your overall satisfaction with your adjustable system.
Leggett and Platt
Legget and Platt is an established, well known manufacturer of furniture and adjustables. Their popular branded bases like the S-Cape and Prodigy are available from retailers like Amerisleep.com, while they supply private label adjustable beds to popular adjustable bed companies and a popular mattress brands. They received an overall customer satisfaction rating of about 4.2/5 across models, which range from very basic to luxury. Higher end models like the Prodigy showed significantly higher ratings, often close to 5/5.
- Warranty: Their lifetime limited warranty varies between different models, with all beds receiving at least one year full warranty. After that it is broken down for their limited warranties, with parts coverage between 2-5 years depending on which base is purchased, and the remainder prorated.
- Cost: Varies, from $1000 to $3000+ depending on retailer, size and model.
Reverie is another large manufacturer that retails under their brand name (the 3E, 5D, and 7s) and private labels (Tempurpedic’s Ergo bases for example). Across models, they tend to get around 4.5/5 in average satisfaction.
- Warranty: Reverie offers two different warranties upfront on their line of adjustable beds. Deluxe and Comfort lines feature 20 year limited warranties, while their Essential model’s limited warranty is 5 years. The first year is full coverage for all parts and service, parts are covered between 0-5 years, then costs are pro-rated according to model.
- Cost: $1200-$3000 depending on retailer, size and collection.
Electropedic is another established manufacturer that sells direct (models WH1 and WH2) and through retailers. They boast an overall satisfaction rate of about 4.5/5 among reviews of all models.
- Warranty: This brand features a twenty year warranty with one year full coverage, two years for the motor, and 5 years on parts. Years six to twelve are prorated to the owner. One of the benefits is that there are no exclusions to the warranty, such as motors and electrical components.
- Cost: Varies, from $1000 to $2500+ depending on retailer, size and model.
This type of bed is ideal for people who suffer from circulatory problems, breathing difficulties, lung or heart disease, as well as for anyone who simply wants to read or watch TV from the comfort of their own bed. No longer unsightly medical devices, the newest adjustable base styles are nearly impossible to detect, fitting seamless with traditional furnishings, but with the surprise of comfort of at the end of the day. Here are the major trends we noticed in consumer reviews from a wide variety of retailers, both good and bad.
Benefits from Reviews
There are numerous benefits to owning an adjustable bed, just as there are numerous ways to adjust the system to meet your needs. Nearly every reviewer mentions at least one positive aspect of ownership related to comfort, health or convenience. The pros from adjustable bed reviews overall include the following:
- An overwhelming number of people reported at least one of the following: reduced back pain, reduced joint pain, reduced acid reflux symptoms, or alleviated symptoms of: arthritis, GERD, insomnia, and other breathing/circulatory concerns.
- Several adjustable bed reviews reported greater comfort while relaxing and watching TV, and found models with pre-programmed features like zero-gravity convenient.
- About 2/3 of people who have purchased an adjustable bed with a massage feature enjoy the feature and feel it adds to value of the bed.
- People liked designs that fit within traditional furniture frames and modern decorating schemes, as they resemble foundations when flat.
- Adjustable bases do not require much regular upkeep or maintenance. Several manufacturers have national service networks that provide repairs during the warranty period, and most utilize fairly simple components that can be swapped out relatively easily.
- The motors are not considered noisy. A/C is slightly louder than D/C, however the sound is minimal and well dampened, thus consumers do not really complain about the noise for the models we mentioned.
Complaints from Reviews
Consumers who did not fully understand how their warranties worked or sought to return their bases compose the majority of negative adjustable bed reviews (which, again, were still fairly low as only about 14-15% were not satisfied). Potential drawbacks of an adjustable bed include:
- Adjustable beds are usually not returnable, or require costly shipping or pickup fees to return.
- Warranties vary, and full coverage is usually only 1-5 years depending on retailer. Certain parts may be excluded after a set number of years, so it is important to understand the warranty.
- They may be difficult to move alone due to their weight (models with casters/wheels will be easier).
- Side sleepers who cannot get used to back sleeping may get less use out of the adjustable features while sleeping.
- Some people reported difficulty using thick mattresses (over 12″) or spring-type mattresses.
Overview of Adjustable Bed Reviews
Adjustable beds overall rank very well with consumers. They are popular not only with those who have medical conditions requiring various parts of the body to be elevated, but also with people who enjoy reading or watching television in bed. Couples in particular expressed satisfaction due to the ease with which they could find their unique comfort zone without putting out their partner or having to sleep apart. Consumer satisfaction from adjustable bed reviews is overall very positive, though it is important to research prices and understand the terms of purchase when making a buying decision.
A Word on Comparison Shopping for an Adjustable Bed
It can be difficult for consumers to know which adjustable bed is right for them. If you are in the market for this particular type of bed you should certainly research the leading brands and discover what it is about each that would be most suitable for your lifestyle. Remember, there are a number of factors that will go into making the best choice. While affordability is certainly a focus, you do not want to skimp on quality. The warranties are also key and always ask questions about what the warranty covers. The information provided here will serve you to begin your journey of researching more about the different types of adjustable bed bases so you may make a well-informed purchase.